Menu Contact View Our Practice Areas
PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.
Serving The Legal Needs Of Greater Detroit Since 1951.

How to obtain a child support modification

The more child support payments you make, the more you realize that you don't have the financial means to keep up in the future. If you find yourself in this position, don't assume that your financial circumstances will change before you run into serious trouble, as this isn't likely to happen.

Instead, you should look into the steps you can take to obtain a child support modification. Here's what you need to do:

  • Find out why: Once you know why you can't afford your child support payments, you'll have a better idea of what could change in the future. For example, if you lost your job and aren't close to getting a new one, you know that staying current with payments will be a challenge. You should also collect documentation to back up your claim, such as a termination letter from your employer.
  • Talk to your ex-spouse: Explain to them that you're unable to make your child support payments in full. And if necessary, go into the details of why this is the case. If they agree to a modification, the court is more likely to follow suit.
  • Take action: The court doesn't know you can't afford your payments until you file a request for a modification. Until then, they expect that you'll stay current with all obligations.

You hope that you're always able to provide your children with financial assistance through the payment of child support. But if something changes and you're unable to stay current, learn more about the process of requesting a modification. This will help you get your finances back on track.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Free Consultations. Flexible Appointments. Payment Options.

Office Location

24055 Jefferson Ave.
Ste. 2000
St. Clair Shores, MI 48080

Phone: 586-335-2733
Map & Directions