Menu Contact View Our Practice Areas
PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.
Serving The Legal Needs Of Greater Detroit Since 1951.

You have a right to petition for custody as the father of a child

If you've recently separated from your son or daughter's other parent, then you likely find yourself at an impasse. This is especially the case if you were never formally listed on your child's birth certificate as their father. You may find it unnerving to go from being able to see your child any time to now finding yourself shut out of their life.

Custodial rights aren't just bestowed upon parents who were once married to each other. While moms are automatically assumed to be their child's parent once they're born, dads don't enjoy that same right. Unmarried fathers must establish their paternity to have legal rights to their children. Dads can petition the court here in Maryland for visitation or custody with their child.

There are instances in which mothers deny fathers visitation with their kids even when they've been granted visitation with their child. It's in instances like these that a mom can be held in violation of a court order. She can be incarcerated, deprived of visitation or custody and/or fined for doing this.

Fathers may be ordered to take parenting classes or have to see their child while supervised by someone else if they've previously been accused of abusing or neglecting a minor. Dads may be subjected to other restrictions to be allowed visitation with their child. They may be prohibited from taking their child out of state or have to abstain from drinking when around them.

If you're being denied custody and/or visitation rights, and experienced family law attorney can advocate on your behalf for what's in the best interests of your child.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Free Consultations. Flexible Appointments. Payment Options.

Office Location

24055 Jefferson Ave.
Ste. 2000
St. Clair Shores, MI 48080

Phone: 586-335-2733
Map & Directions